Thursday, September 18, 2008

Devotional- Leon Parson

On Tuesday (9-16) for Devotional we got to listen to Leon Parson. He is the brother of Del Parson. Leon Parson's specialty is wildlife paintings! He has painted murals for temples, the most recent being the Twin Falls and Rexburg Idaho temples. He has painted 5 of the prophet pictures that hang in the hall of prophets and many other paintings! He is also a professor at BYU-Idaho in the Art department. He gave a excellent talk about all of the beautiful creations our Father in Heaven has created for us, and how all of our bodies are perfectly made according to the golden section proportion. He even did a little demonstration on it. He told us to notice all of the animals, bugs, flowers, everything and how the colors compliment each other. He said his favortie artist is the Master and creator Jesus Christ. It was so interesting to hear of his expereinces in painting. It made me want to notice all of the little things even more and how beautiful our earth really is!


Leon Parson


This is his painting of the Jospeh Smith in the sacred grove. He said as he prepared for his trip to go to the grove and take picture the forcast was that it was going to rain. He knew that if he wanted to capture that right image it coudln't be raining so, before he went to bed that night he prayed that if it be God's will, it would be sunny so he could get some good pictures. So the next morning as he went to the sacred grove he was all alone and the sun was shining. As soon as he left he said it started to rain. I thought that was so cool.

Here is a painting he did of President Hinckley

4 comments:

Melanie said...

The murals he painted for the Twin Falls temple and Rexburg temple are beautiful. I am so thankful when talented people share their talents with others. How fun you were able to hear him speak.

Chantelle and Fam said...

WOW! His paintings are GORGEOUS!!! I'm glad you could meet him.
Chantelle

Michelle said...

Awesome! I really love the First Vision one. That makes it so literal-seeming, which of course, it was!
Thanks for sharing this experience. I love the details you included about this devotional!

chapples8 said...

I'm anxious to see if Leon Parson's devotional is on BYU TV on Sunday. Sure hope so. I love the murals in the Twin Falls and Rexburg Temples that he painted.