Friday, August 22, 2008
Donating Blood...
So all through High School I was always afraid to Donate Blood. I thought it would hurt so bad that I just wouldn't be able to handle it. Then last summer after I had graduated and I was working at the paper mill. They always have blood drives. A guy came around asking people if they wanted to do it. When he came and asked me I couldn't say no to his face because I had no good reason besides fear. So, I did it. Unfortunately after a lengthly interview checking blood pressure and pricking my finger to check my iron (which actually hurts worse than taking your blood) I was all set up and my blood was coming out. Then a few minutes later the lady helping me realized that the bag stopped filling up. So she played with my needle for awhile (I got a good bruise) did everything she could but it wouldn't come out anymore. She said that my blood just clotted for some reason and so I didn't get to donate the full amount. I don't even know if they were able use that blood. So since then I have always been hesitant to do it because I was afraid that the same thing would happen. So one year later the same thing at work, same guy comes around asks if I want to do it and I said yes. This time was a much better experience. Everything went smoothly. I told the lady helping me what happened last time (and I tried to drink more water) and she assured me that everything was going to be fine and not to worry. She was right! Everything was great. It really does not hurt that bad, the pain last for about 5 seconds. It actually feels good to sit in that chair and know that you are helping someone! Besides saving lives I got two free movie tickets a donut, and water! Hopefully I can donate blood while I am at college too! Here is the sticker I got to wear all day:)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Good for you! Here's a pat on the back. You were brave, and you deserve to have ice cream. :)
Good job! And I agree with you that getting your finger pricked it always the worst part. You could always take it one step further and donate plasma. If you do that - they actually give you money. Kevin and I both did that while living in Provo. Lashelle
Good for you! I've never donated blood because I had hepatitis (sp?) as a baby and they don't want my blood. :) Plus, you have to weigh at least 110 and I don't usually pass!
Speaking of donating plasma... Jordan lived off donating plasma when he was at ISU. I wouldn't recommend it - he has a scar now. :)
Good job! I haven't ever donated blood but Jared does every 6 weeks or so.
Post a Comment