Immediately after graduating I started my internship two days later in Chandler AZ. Shirley and her family were kind enough to find me this internship and let me live with them for the 7 weeks. I was able to help at a Preschool and do some teaching there for my internship. For the last few weeks of my internship I was able to get a car since I would be needing it for my student teaching in Utah. It is a 2001 Honda Civic.
My student teaching started on August 15th and the first day of school was August 22nd. I could write a whole novel on student teaching. It was a big learning experience, and a lot of work. Overall though it was enjoyable and a good experience. I taught 7th, 8th, and 9th graders at Brockbank Jr. High in Magna Utah. I taught three CTE classes (Career Technical Education), two 8th grade FACS exploration classes and two 9th grade Food & Nutrition I classes. From those classes I taught about careers, family, sewing, cooking, nutrition, interior design, child development and more. After completing my student teaching in November I started looking for a job. My plan was to get on the subbing list for surrounding school districts. It turned out to be harder than I planned. None of the school districts were hiring substitutes, so why does everyone say they are always needing subs?? Who knows. So I began looking for any job possible. I had a few interviews but nothing came from them.
The last few weeks of my student teaching my cooperating teacher received an email of a teacher going on maternity leave and wanted names of any good FACS long term subs. So I emailed her and told her I was interested. I didn't hear from her for about 2 or 3 weeks so I emailed her again and told her I was still interested if she was still looking. She emailed me back and said she was still looking and asked if I was comfortable with the classes she taught. Of course I was because they are basically the same classes I just taught while student teaching. So turns out since she is going to be gone for more than 3 weeks she has to have a sub that has a Family Consumer Science degree, and there are no FACS subs in granite school district, so she had to take me:) It all worked out because it got me on the list that was impossible to get on and I got a job! So at the beginning of January I will be starting that long term subbing job teaching what I graduated in, so that is exciting. I am glad to be able to stay in Utah for now. Scott and his family are kind enough to be letting me live with them. The school is located not far from their home which is nice. I am enjoying Utah and like my YSA ward I am in. December 17th was my official graduation date, so I am officially graduated now and am waiting for my diploma to come it the mail so I can start applying for my teaching license.
For now I am home for the Holidays and am trying to enjoy this vacation before I start work in January.
2 comments:
Loved your update, hope you keep your blog dusted off!
Congratulations Ashley! Graduated AND a job in your degree... you must be doing something right!
Have a Merry Christmas!
Post a Comment