On Friday November 5th I left for a field trip to Park City Utah. The class that the field trip was for is my Methods/Curriculum development for my major. We were going to attend the UAFCS (Utah Association of Family Consumer Science) conference. We left Rexburg around 9:30 a.m. we all piled into a 12 passenger van and headed for Park City Utah. We all had a fun time in the van visiting, laughing and telling stories. That what happens when you get 12 girls in one van that all love to talk! Before we went to park city we stopped in Midvale at a store called Calico Corners. It is a fabric store, a very nice, expensive fabric store. Some of the fabrics were as much as $130.00 for a yard. Yikes! My Professor had to get some fabric for a few projects. After we left we decided to go and eat! Most of the girls wanted to go to Pei Wei, which I wasn’t thrilled about but I figured I would be fine. When we got there, right next to it was Five guys, which I though sounded so good and I have always wanted to try it. So half of us went to Five guys and the rest went to Pei Wei. Five guys was really yummy! I got a little burger (which was still huge) and a side of Fries. I got the smallest fry but they give you a ton! They fill your whole bag full of fries, I had to throw half of them away. Also each day they tell you where the fries are from, and that day they happened to be from a farm in Rexburg, so that was funny since we had just come from there. They were really tasty though. They also have peanuts that you can snack on, and really yummy fry sauce which I have been obsessed with lately, it is so yummy! After eating, us girls who finished eating early went to the ROSS next door. Let me just say that all the girls in this class are so much fun to be with. They were so fun to shop with and just be with.
We finally made the rest of the way to Park City. The conference didn’t start till 6:00p.m. so that means we still had some time for a few hours of shopping at the Tanger Outlet Mall. It was my first time to go this mall. It was a good time, I only ended up buying a black sweatshirt thing at gap for like 8 dollars, I really like it. Then of course I bought some neon green nail polish (such an addiction- haha)! Some of the girls got some really deals on a clothes, purses, etc. Also, the last episode of What Not To Wear that aired on Nov 5th was filmed at the Tanger Outlet Mall, I am curious to watch that episode now! We all met up around 5:00p.m. and headed to the hotel. Conveniently the conference was at the hotel we were staying in. It was so nice! I stayed in a room with 5 other girls. We got all checked in changed our clothes then headed to dinner and the opening speaker! The speaker was Darin Adams from KSL Studio 5, it is a show in Utah, which I really want to watch now since like 5 of the people who talked or did workshops work there. Anyways, He talked about living your life with passion, he sang songs, told hilarious stories and really got everyone laughing! It was great. Then when he was done we headed back to our rooms to change for swimming.
The hotel was very nice. It had an indoor pool and hot tub. We spent about an hour in the pool and hot tub. When we first walked to our rooms outside about 10 of the doors there were the skeleton boards (the sport in the Olympics) sitting outside the doors. They had Vancouver 2010 stickers on them and everything. Then when we came back from swimming there were all these Asians sanding the tracks on there skeleton boards. It was pretty cool. The next morning we got to eat at their restaurant breakfast thing they had at the hotel. They had so much yummy food; it was just like a buffet, waffles, French toast, eggs, fruit, hot chocolate, milk, muffins, sausage, bacon, anything you can think of. Apparently after my group and I left our table for breakfast a group of Slovakian Olympic people came and sat at our table. After breakfast we went to another speaker who was Matt Townsend. He wrote a book called “ Starved Stuff; Feeding the 7 Basic Needs of Healthy Relationships." We each got a copy of it as we came in. He also was an excellent speaker and gave some really great insight into relationships. He is a marriage counselor I believe and also works at Studio 5. He had so many great stories. He talked for an hour and a half but it felt like 5 minutes. I learned a lot of really great things from all the speakers and I am excited to read his book eventually. Each speaker gave really good ideas about how to teach our students about relationships, passion etc. if we were teaching a teen living class or adult roles which are classes we could possibly teach. Then I went to a workshop on entrepreneurship and starting your own business which was really interesting. The last workshop I attended was on exercise. Melanie Douglass taught the class, she has even worked with Jillian from the biggest loser. She did an excellent job and gave us a really cool handout with some great exercises. She answered lots of questions about exercise and how often and how intense you should do it each week. Then we had a yummy lunch. While I was standing in line for lunch a girl asked me if I knew Ryan Chapple, since she saw my last name on my name tag. I was kind of surprised but told her yes and that I was his little sister. She said she knew him from working at the Lost and Found at BYU. It’s a small world! It was a short conference but a really good time. It is a good opportunity to network and get to know other people who are involved with Family Consumer Science and see opportunities and get different ideas. I am really glad we had the chance to go. After the conference on our way home we stopped at the Gateway mall. And you should have seen us try to park that HUGE van in the tiniest spot, yeah it took about 20 minutes, but we did it! We all had a great time shopping for a few hours. Then we headed home. Everyone had a great time and all us girls really got to know each other really well and that was fun to bond with everyone.
Showing our "Passion" for Old Navy turtle necks( inside joke from one of the conference speakers)



5 comments:
I just noticed I wrote my other comment on the wrong entry. Your apple tree was very creative and the candy you made looks yummy! good job!
Fun, Fun! You have such great "field trips" with your major. Five Guys has great burgers & fries. We ate at the one in Twin Falls. How many beds were there in your hotel room to fit 5 people?
Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!! Glad it was a good trip! Ash, I had no idea you had a blog! Now I can see what you're up to when we move!! ;) he he he.
Thanks Everyone:)
Erika...yes I have had a blog even since before we were roommates. I figured you would enjoy reading it since I enjoy yours:)
Oh, that sounded like a super fun trip. And I'm digging your scarf. Also, I love your new header picture. Sweet!
Post a Comment